Great Discussion: We all learn by open-mindedness (!)

IMO, the referenced SS Daggers (with Gau marked Nickel-Silver Crossguard) are a concrete illustration of the means & procedures which some TR Dagger Makers used as prudent businessmen, in a specific time-frame [1933-1942].

I believe that it all goes back to "WHY" that 'Transitional' SS - SA & Other Daggers, were manufactured in the 1st place. WHY Transitionals in the 1st place?

My take on it the subject is the following:
(1) ...there was a 1935 published edict / notice that effective a stated date, no more Strategic Metals could be used by manufacturers. Nickel-Silver (of which the early Crossguards were made) was one of those 'prohibited' metals which were listed. [I have forgotten the exact date off-hand, but it's posted it on the "TeNo Homebase" thread.]
(2) ...Dagger Manufacturers who had a large supply of Nickel-Silver crossguards on hand, could [and Did] continue to use them - until the supply was used up. [i.e. Note the finding of Transitional marked Blades, but with Nickel-Silver Crossguards. It was a matter of supply on hand - & the demand for additional Dagger types, those which used this shaped Crossguard - SS - SA - NSKK (? perhaps NPEA, but will defer to Ron).]
(3) ...We see the same thing taking place for Visor Eagles & Mützenkranz - in that they were Nickel-Silver until mid 1935 & then made of an alternate metal [usu. Aluminum] after that date.
(4) ...However, as with the Crossguards, manufacturers also had a supply of Nickel-Silver Eagles & Mützenkranz, which they continued to sell. [I have documentation of this taking place for the TeNo, and I 'believe' that it is also true for other branches.]
(5) ...Back to the "Gau Marked Nickel-Silver Crossguard" - another partial explanation is that Daggers were sent to the manufacturer for repairs & upgrading. This aspect is documented in TW's books & others - when blades were repaired, trade marks were repaired (& in a few documented cased - replaced!), etc. At the same time, it is not unreasonable to postulate that Crossguards were also replaced. Thus a supply of potential 'previously-used' [as in the Gau Marked Nickel-Silver SS] crossguards were on hand in the bins at the Manufacturer. They could [& apparently were] used for the 'new' Daggers, as the demand for these Daggers increased.
(6) ...Also, when we look at photos of, and examples from, the parts & supply rooms of Solingen Dagger Makers after May 8, 1945, it is crystal clear that not much was thrown away! Parts were stockpiled.

Thus in these areas [after the prohibition on the use of Strategic metals], there was a 'mix & match' on the part of the various Manufacturers. As good businessmen, they wanted to use up their supply of parts (be it Nickel-Silver Crossguards or Eagles / Mützenkranz) before making (or having made for them) additional items, using a Non Strategic metal [i.e. plated crossguards - or - Aluminum Eagles / Mützenkranz).

It all seems to 'make some sense' when we look at it all from a documented time-line; a historical perspective; and 'verified examples' of the items [be they Crossguards or Eagles / Mützenkranz]. ...Txs, ...Dave/dblmed

[Always looking for TeNo � Schuma � Technische Noodhulp Items...]