Maybe I'm missing something here, but the only maker I am aware of that used iron guards was Helbig. To my knowledge, they did not make M36 daggers. The only guard materials I'm familiar with on M36 daggers are solid nickel-silver and plated zinc-based metal. Yes, I'm very happy with my Ns Gau-marked M36 and have no doubt of its authenticity and originality. I suppose dealers think in terms of "moving the merchandise," while collectors concentrate on other aspects. I, and apparently more than a few others, accept the Gau-marked M36 examples as being "correct," authentic and a "legitimate" period variant. I disagree with Fred that there is no significance in there being substantial numbers of Gau-marked examples. To me, that speaks volumes. Again, why on earth would someone sit down and replace guards on such a number of daggers? And what would he do with the removed unmarked guards? Put them on other M36's? It's nonsensical. There are other considerations to ponder, such as the provenance of the individual daggers. These Gau-marked examples are of early manufacture, making the likelihood they are "parts" daggers, assembled postwar, highly improbable. I'm sure the naysayers will never be convinced otherwise, but these daggers are recognized by a significant portion of the collecting community as authentic, and there is nothing to indicate otherwise.