Originally Posted By: manxman
One more question. Is it worth paying for an authenticity certificate from Johnson or Wittmann, and are they generally recognised as the world's 2 top experts on German daggers? Are there any world recognised dagger authorities in Britain who might do certificates for me?

I am a printer by trade, and I have a whole box of blank certificates if you want a few. IMO these are worthless. I can go outside right now and BBQ chicken in my backyard and put it in a KFC container. I could sell it as real it might taste different, but someone will buy it, because of the label.
If it would make you feel at ease, then you can get a certificate. It still doesnt prove anything.
You made a great point that in future years that no one would no the difference.....Except you because you bought it and then it would be your word against the next buyer and their questions pertaining to it. Sounds like a vicious cycle doesnt it? How would you prove,, or your childrens children prove the qualities in question. They cant prove it,, only you can because both Toms and many others including myself will be gone. It is up to you to pass on the knowledge as does Lakesidetrader , the 2 Toms and other dealer/ collectors.
In this subject knowledge goes alot further than just a piece of paper,,, as does a marriage certificate. Your marital relationship is between you your wife and God.....Paper does not hold you together.
I know what my strengths are in in this hobby and what my weaknesses are,, so I study as much on the latter more than i do on what i know. I sharpen what i already know.
Time ticks away and so does the small intricasies and by that time no one will be able to tell the difference between what is real and what is not.
again it is my opinion and some do have certificates,, but not necessary.
It is my hope that you will concentrate more on enjoying your recent acquisition and less time on being stressed. I understand your concerns and i would be the same way especially when purchasing something of great value. Life is too short, but enjoy the time now but what is happening right now with those you are talking and dealing with. Truly this period in History is very contraversial and collecting it adds to the magnitude. My hope one day soon is to acquire a chained SS, and probably from one of the above mentioned gents that you speak of, but i myself can not wait too long since some of the most knowledgeable ones will soon disappear and my faith in what is not my strength will be compromised. Now would be the best time with the ones who know who are already out here. I should take a leap of faith,, but not blindly without the guidance of those who know the subject. Best regards to you,,and enjoy the hobby. Larry

Historical Stewardship is a Trusted Honor that must be kept!