As the Administrator of GDC, I can assure you that you can discuss specific items for sale as long as you say where they are. Our rules say that if you post pictures, you have to attribute the source. A few might be reluctant to critique specific items, but we have many less shy members.

You can also ask advice of members. I have fielded many many questions on SS/SA daggers and I am certain the moderators have done the same.

A few other thoughts

- Daggers do get broken or tarnish badly or rust. I think its a good thing to see them repaired and cleaned rather the leave them broken or to decompose. The links of the M1936 type II SS daggers are quite fragile and many have been re-soldered or replaced. Same applies to the early finishes on the scabbards of SS/SA/RAD EM daggers. They wore through with regular use or regular polishing with abrasive cleaners. A worn finish is one thing, but a largely missing finish going to rust is another. They key is to disclose this when selling.

- Some SS/SA dagger bits need preventive maintenance. The grip is wood and can dry out so a bit of wax or shoe polish does not go astray. Leather is worse as it can rot away. again, a bit of wax or shoe polish will help.

- Some collectors want SA/SS daggers never touched in 60 years with the nickel silver fitting all dull with green tinges and the SS vertical hangers full of green verdigris where they have been in contact with the nickel silver fittings. Or so covered in nicotine that everything is a dull brown. I think they believe that is proof that no one has ever taken the dagger apart. That is not true as those dagger can be taken apart without leaving marks. As for the green verdigris, it eats into the nickel silver. I have a very nice SS Schuttelhofer where this happened and I will try to get pictures.

- I would suggest taking your lead from museums. They repair and maintain so the artifacts are presentable. Not like new, but not like they were left to themselves either. Go visit the Imperial War Museum. laugh

Hope this helps,

Dave