Originally Posted By: spacey
Can anyone recommend the best book that covers WWII edged weapons, axis and/or allies? It would be nice to have one all inclusive book w/ photos instead of several smaller ones.

Originally Posted By: Dave Hohaus
That book has yet to written.

Dave

Oh boy, yep, true, true ... BUT ...

Hi Spacer!

Well, theres not ONE book but there are several books, that you can read to learn! I learn\learned most I think from period\wartime stuff, but, also, from a book called "Me Fecit Solingen" by Skipper Greenwade. Thats older but, very good, and, very inspirational! And also, if you can, get your hands on "Service Daggers of SA and NSKK" by Siegert. That book has so much fotographs! And also a guide how to start collecting, that is nice to read, and helpful.

Also, wait for the book by William Warda and Thom Witmann, not sure, but, I ~~think~~ its gonna be good! The big series by Thom Johnson, is also very helpful, "collecting the edged weapons of the 3rd Reich", pick the 1st and 5th books if you only want SA/SS/NSKK.

For allies, I only know 2 Fairbairn-Sykes books ... 1 wartime book, "Get Touch" and "Fairbairn Commando Dagger". But, theres SO much to learn, around these things! Take Fairbairn, the name of a UK major actualy. If you learn about a knife, or dagger, you need to also learn, about the background, if you wanna know what is fake\faul and what aint. Even then its VERY difficult, to see, or understand. Each type, of whatever axis or allies, has a history, and a use, and people, stuck to the making, the designing, the using. Its great fun ... The knives\daggers, you collect, tell you more, if you know a bit more. And also, you know earlier, when people give you nonsense.

Reading from the period when your knives are from, are always the best. Period catalogs, or, sometimes just magazines with ads too. Its best to do your own research, dont depend on others, and, DONT take ANY modern book\forum\person for truth!!! But you can learn MUCH from them. Below, a 3rd pattern Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife, with the wartime 1st print Get Touch book. Enjoy the learning-ride!!

Bye,
KR

Nichts ist Ende, nichts ist Anfang.