Please have a look at this dagger

http://www.lakesidetrader.com/pics/Ss-280d.jpg

To me it looks beautifull but I'm aware that some historic value is lost in a sense by reconditioning a piece. Paul is straight down the line about the work which has been done on this one which includes re-anodising and lacquering of the scabbard, cleaning, and replacement of a couple of connectors.

I am a new collector and I am aware that untouched early 36s are the best of the chained daggers to go for. I want something that will hold its value over 10-20 years and wont cause too many problems when it comes to selling it on. I am also aware that reconditioning is a contraversial area. Any thoughts about this dagger and reconditing please? I love the look of it!

Here is Paul's description;

Type II Chained SS
"Here's an absolute beauty that any collector would be proud to own. The blade is a superior example that has been cleaned and lost some of it's crossgrain. It retains it's original length and perfect tip and no sharpening. Look at the motto, nice and black! I rate this an easy Exc+/Exc++. The hilt fittings are all early nickel and well fit. All the angles are correct. The wood is in fine shape being chip and crack-free with some normal small marks from normal wear and rubbing. The perfectly fit eagle is a nickel version and the runes have 100% enamel. The scabbard has an anodized finish and is dent -free. The finish has been redone and lacquered. The scabbard fittings are all early nickel. The ball is perfect. The chain is early nickel Type II with burnish to the backgrounds. Nice details are all there, right down to the individual teeth. The correct first upper link is SS marked. The top 2 connectors have been professionally replaced. I have taken great care here guys to tell you all the restoration work done to this thing. Nicely finishing this is an original portepee. This is a beauty piece and if you can live with the work done and fully disclosed you got yourself a bargain! Overall Exc++
$6995

More pics.....
http://lakesidetrader.com/pics/SS-280dd.jpg

Last edited by Manxman; 07/09/2011 01:03 AM.