Originally Posted By: derjager
Hello Don. Yes the pistol is a bronze.

I wonder how many they made over the 563 awarded? Triple that do you suppose?

As I recall you wrote that lower grades could be traded up to the higher grades but if the awardee wished to retain the lower grades they had to purchase the bronze and silver if they attained the gold.

I have only seen males with the award. All images from you I might add. Did any females compete?

--dj--Joe

I've no idea how many more they would have planned for Joe, but yes as you say, shooters could re-take the shoot if they were not happy with their score & if desired for an extra fee, keep the lower grade badge as well. The bronze grade are the hardest to find because no one really wanted to have the bronze, they all naturally wanted higher.

Yes indeed girls & women did take part, not in huge numbers but shoot they did. For example in 1944 62 received the Meisterschütze grade of which 10 were awarded the 3 year Gaumeisterschütze badge as well for having recieved the Meister in 3 different years & a further 7 were awarded the 4 year spange.

You can even see by looking through the names/numbers from each year that some of them married & changed their names (but the badge numbers give them away ;))

Cheers
Don

"Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it"

Galadriel, LotR.