Originally Posted By: Oleg1
IMO there is no smoke without a fire. That is another good reason why I am getting out of collecting daggers and collecting guns now.

Oh Really?
Well I know guys in the gun hobby and they tell me it's worse than ever. Many are getting out. They tell me places like where you like to shop (Big-Mid-west Gun auction house) are loaded with humped up guns. fake Luger carbines done up from 1900 model, pentographed Luger contracts from every country . Done up sniper rifles, Winchesters, Colt 45's...and yes even the cases. Himmler PPK, Von Papen Gold Lugers, Grey-Ghosts, Black-widows, Dual-tones, phosphate - you name it.
They have the rust blue down to 'state-of-the-art' ask Jim M.

A friend of mine who's been in the gun hobby for 50 years is getting out. He told me recently; "you know, 35-40 years ago I used to put a 'Carbine'(Luger) out on a table at a show and there would be a swarm of guys around my table. Now I put one out and nobody even stops to look."
My friend also told me about a newbie Luger collector he knows who got swindeled $600,000+ on humped up GL Lugers. he went to court, cost over $300,000 got A JUDGEMENT BUT WILL NEVER GET ANY CASH.

You think it's a 'good investment'?
Twenty years ago the Ackerman .45cal. U.S. Test Luger was touted as the 'Million dollar Luger'. At auction last year it didn't even bring $500,000.

Listen what Bret and others say about the current 'Gun Hobby'. We are no spring chickens, my first Gun show was in 1968 or was it 69? Back then you could see the reground and restamped parts and smell the 'cold blue' - dem were the Good Ole Days.- laugh

-serge-

Last edited by Serge (aka Wagner); 06/14/2011 07:53 AM.