Earlier my friend and I were discussing the larger Bamberger Reiter busts produced by Rosenthal, especially those from 1933 - '45. We'd both noticed that there were a couple of examples up for auction and both had only one trefoil/finial on right side of the crown. Both were listed as being in mint condition, having no chips, cracks or repairs.

Besides the photos that we have of the Reiter here, (a few pages earlier) there's a great thread on WAF that Robin Lumsden started, that lists several different versions of this particular bust. The thing you'll notice immediately is the variety of different crowns depicted throughout that thread and here - almost no two are the same and they all have more than one trefoil. hmmm ..?

Is anyone familiar with this Rosenthal anomaly? Even their mounted Reiter has two finials on his crown, so what's the deal, simply artistic license? I have a feeling that the single ornament is correct on the Rosenthal examples, however, I wonder if anyone can validate this with a catalog photo or first-hand experience?

Good collecting and thanks!

Bill

Bamberger.jpg (43.71 KB, 114 downloads)
bamberger-reiter.gif (41.37 KB, 114 downloads)