Pat, I noticed the same thing, which is why I started this thread.

Like any auction, sometimes the action gets way too heated and silly prices (like $7k for a chained NSKK) happen. But, that is why we have maximums to our bids, isn't it?

I saw 4 items in this auction that I liked and would take into my collection if I could get them at reasonable prices (reasonable compared to what I thought that I would have to pay to dealers and to other collectors). I also was watching a medal that I didn't want to bid on, but was interested in seeing how the bidding would go.

I bid a maximum amount on each item. The two that I won, I paid less than my maximum for each and I never did have the option or the need to adjust my max bid. I got both, both Eikchorn etched bayonets, at about 50% of the retail that I would have had to pay for either from any dealer on GDC or elsewhere.

The two items that I didn't win, I did up my max once on each. One of them went for a couple of hundred dollars over my last bid (and I still regret not going further since it still went for way below what I had seen these things advertised for elsewhere). The 4th item went for way more than what I had wanted to pay.

So, I will be bidding again on the next auction if Craig has items that I like (and I am sure that he will).

The pluses for me are no extra fees, unlike many other auctions (take a look at the minimums and the fees and the conditions attached to Herman Historica and compare to Craig's).

If most of you stay away from Criag's next auction, that will be good for me and will keep bidding competition down.

BTW, I am not Craig's friend, his lover nor his biggest fan, but I do appreciate his deals, when I can get them.

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.