Gary,

SS Hauptsturmf�hrer K�rner was incarcerated for 'political re-education,' from 1945 until 1947, at a camp in Moosbach. Later in '47 he started working again in a supervisory capacity for Oscar Schaller/Windischeschenbach. (Eschenbach)

In January 1950, Eschenbach received permission to reproduce parts of K�rner's Allach inventory from the original molds. (naturally, nothing politically incorrect)

Mikee,

I'm not quite sure how to interpret your meaning? Are you saying that you've noted pre-1935 Rosenthal pieces marked, "Prof.T K�rner?" My question would be, when these earlier models were re-released after 1945, when were they first marked with the updated title of "Prof.?" That item would reflect a new, yearly, post-'45 Rosenthal marking, right?
I think that's what you mean, correct? I have a Rosenthal Zicklein (baby goat) that's marked with the model number 1115, which I believe is pre-1935, however, it's marked with a Rosenthal logo from the fifties and uses the title, "Prof Th.K�rner."

I think it'd be interesting to find a re-released, Rosenthal example marked with a 1938 -1945 logo that uses the updated term, "Prof." This would indicate that he was honored with his newly bestowed title (since 1938) by his former employer. Or, did the company only use his honorary title starting after the war? Definitely something to look into ...

Tristan,

I think it's a reasonably fair price for such an unusual commodity, especially for the true K�rner aficionado. I agree with Gary that it's a lovely sculpture no matter who, what, when or why the piece came about... As the old collector's saying goes, 'it is what it is...' ... a unique original and tiptop stuff. If I hadn't just made a deal for an early K�rner bird I'd be tempted to have a go at this one myself ... grin

Best regards to one and all.

B~