For those who collect or may just be interested in Theodor K�rner's career, here's something for the books...

... as we speak someone on US Ebay has listed a "Doe & Fawn," that's attributed to Prof. K., but coming from a company that is 'as of yet' not listed in references as having produced any of his works ... nice! Have a look ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Royal-Coburg-Pr...=item3f08fb0060

Seems 100% authentic but how did it come into being? I'd say it's early postwar production, let's say somewhere between 1949 and 1955..? As common knowledge we know that several of the molds from Allach were dispersed and used by other companies, primarily to include Eschenbach, and possibly Winterling to a much smaller degree. Here's the description:

"Rare Royal Coburg Professor Theodare Karner Lying Deer with Fawn in perfect condition and about 7 inches long and 5 1/2 inches tall. This is the most amazing well made and realistic figurine. Much nicer than the Rosenthal pieces I've seen. The Rosenthal number for this piece is # 1117. I've researched T. Karner extensively, and I can't find when he worked for Royal Coburg. There is a lot of information available on him, but the fact that he worked for Royal Coburg seems to be unknown. He worked for Nymphenburg from 1905 to 1918, Rosenthal from 1918 to 1934, Allach from 1934 to 1944, and Eschenbach from 1947 to 1953. This piece must be very rare, and was obviously made before WW II. Marked Royal Coburg Germany and Prof T Karner. If you enlarge the picture of the Royal Coburg mark, you can see where it says Prof T Karner.

I've tried researching Royal Coburg and there is no information anywhere. They made a few dishes, but there is no record of them ever making animal figurines. All I can find out is that Royal Coburg and RS Prussia are somehow related. Royal Coburg apparently used the same mark as RS Prussia at one time..."

Whoever the seller is did a pretty good job of research, however, I don't agree that it's pre-WWII production. I'm fairly certain he never used the title "Professor," for anyone other than Allach during his tenure for the SS-owned company, 1935-1945. Possibly a postwar deal of some kind with Rosenthal?

No matter what the exact case might be it's a very interesting little tidbit of info. wink

Best!

Bill

karnerroyalcoburg.jpg (44.9 KB, 149 downloads)
karnerroyalcoburg2.jpg (44.04 KB, 148 downloads)