Erich,

Thought I'd pop this nice Rosenthal Reiter in here too ... seen it up for auction on occasion, but usually in so-so/broken condition. This one looks like a fine example.

I think we all have our own "wish-list" of great collectibles that we'd like to chase down and eventually add to our collections - no matter what field. Here's one from my file that I'd like to own someday, a trio of monkeys sculpted by Professor Julius Feldtmann, who worked for KPM and Rosenthal. Most of the work I've seen by him dates from the early 20th century into the thirties/early forties. Not very well known but he did turn out a few exceptional animal sculptures, there's another example earlier in this thread of a pair of fighting roosters by the same artist.

To my eye this little group of primates has just about everything a porcelain animal collector could ask for - great anatomy, a slight hint of caricature to exaggerate the animal's essence, wonderful, imaginative painting and that snapshot-like feeling of a moment anchored in time. It's amazing when all those fine qualities come together and that lively spirit is portrayed and captured for our pleasure and enjoyment. I believe the old Professor and the painter both achieved a very high-level of sophistication in this exceptional piece of decorative art. Hope you might enjoy it and have a chance to comment too ...

Do any of you have photos stashed away of a porcelain you'd like to own? If not, maybe just a description? Good collecting to all our ceramic aficionados!

Best!

W~

BambergerReiter.jpg (35.04 KB, 94 downloads)
feldtmannsm.jpg (63.02 KB, 94 downloads)
Last edited by WWII; 01/30/2011 12:36 PM.