All of the Gentlemen that have posted their Suhl dagger collections and individual ones included are outstanding in every respect. To this day I can not answer the question on why the lower step was chosen. I skimmed through Ralfs SA book and saw excellent examples but none with a reason why these 3 producers chose to differ themselves from the rest of the makers. What was the thought behind it and I field this question to you Suhl collectors that pride themselves on such a beautiful and unique grip to crossguard SA example. I myself am determined to acquire one of these beauties very soon from a close associate. No SA collection should be without one. Crossguard shapes range from Curved to thin and that "Straight across look". But the Suhl Guards are in a class by itself. Patiently we still await the release of Tom Wittmanns SA book and hopefully the Suhl question that I asked on the reason why it was used may be revealed. IMO the Kober is the Suhl of Suhl daggers when it comes to a low step. TW once said to me that The Suhl area itself is one of those old coal mining provinces that is cold and plain looking. Just a thought. Like to hear some feed back!! Best Larry

Historical Stewardship is a Trusted Honor that must be kept!