Originally Posted By: richkuch43@aol.com
FORUM,

SS Bayonet with Accountability #735 is an example of a blanko bayonet with a Crude Camp Made Scabbard. The scabbard exhibits very crude peening on the seams that are to deep to even clean up. Note the frog stud is large without adequate bevel to allow entry into the frog. Also the frog stud tends to rotate.

Richard Kuchta

Richard,

I can’t really see it that well in the image to make a 100% ID. But it looks like a 98%, and I am going to guess that the scabbard might one of the stamped ones that were made by A. Wallmeyer Maschinenfabrik (code “can”). Being a welded scabbard that almost always has a ground off marking (if it ever had one). And the frog stud brazing has broken loose. Sometimes from use, and other times by fooling around. Here is an image showing the excess material from the weld with a scabbard which has been sand blasted, and then blued. With some scabbards the welding is as obvious as this one (or worse), and with others you may have to study them for a while to try and figure out if it's welded or not.

PS: Andy has the best data, but the one posted here I believe came with a Hörster (“asw”). But they were not the only ones to use these later war scabbards, manufactured using this production method.

Best Regards, FP

Weld 2_2.jpg (32.7 KB, 436 downloads)