Originally Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP
Originally Posted By: richkuch43@aol.com
FP,

I do not have an exact science method to determine the date of the bayonet. I do a blade comparrison using calipers to check against known dated blades.

The theory of camp made bayonets using slave labor somewhat distorts the overall dating process of the bayonet. Blade blanks might be accurately dated but the final Assembly process might be a year or two off depending on how the material moves through the system. Also the factor of battlefield salvage enters into play and older bayonets may end up a new finish and new dated grips.

Richard K

Richard,

Do you have a couple of 'textbook/best case' examples to look at to demonstrate visually the idea of camp made bayonets - your choice. That you could use to walk us through in detail the process (but it doesn't have to be ultra complicated), to illustrate what you are saying as to how they were made. For both the: "WKC provided blades & components to some of the SS work camps where the bayonets were assembled using slave labor." And the "battlefield salvage" type. I'm curious to see how the pieces might fit together,

Best Regards, FP

FP,

Perhaps you might have some text books on SS Camp Made Bayonets that would readily show the rework & or assembly of these SS Bayonets. I myself have no such "text book" and I would give anything to have such documentation. The best that I can provide is an actual SS Bayonet showing the quality of workmanship that we have discussed. I would really be interested in seeing any references that are out there pertaining to SS bayonets. Perhaps we are pioneering new territory. There really has not been much new introduced into the field of bayonet collecting in over 30 years.

Richard Kuchta