Originally Posted By: richkuch43@aol.com

How do you know what the SS finish should be at this stage of the war? I am calling this a phospate finish because it does not look like a blueing. On the scabbard where the finish is missing in one area, I can see nothing in the pores of the metal on the scabbard. Everything seems to be gone. Richard K

Richard,

First, I know because I've got multiple original OEM period examples to look at. And I don't think that the SS would have had its own special technologies when it came to finishes on steel. And if they had done anything like that - it would have been using what we would now call an "industry standard". Having to procure the necessary chemicals and equipment from the same places as German arms makers.

To "cut to the chase" - I think that what you are looking at mostly is the scabbard which is blued over sandblasting, and misinterpreting it as a dark phosphate. And if you look more closely at the late examples I posted I think that you will better understand why I made the statements I did.

Maybe some better pictures of the entire piece(s) inside and out will change my mind. But not with what I've seen so far.

Best Regards, FP