Originally Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP
Originally Posted By: richkuch43@aol.com
FP,

Please explain the relationship of what you are looking for as to what we are discussing about bayonets. I too am also quite experienced with metal surface finishes and platings and coatings. The products that we produce at our plant must have extremely high finishes or else any imperfection in the surface of the press plates will be transferred into the garments. Platings and finishes are on everything that we do. When there is pitting in the steel the etching chemical enters in and in some cases comes out after the plating runing the whole job.

Please explain what type of comparrison you are trying to make and for what reason.

Richard KuchtA

Richard,

While I am sure that you are well versed in the methods used to make the products coming from your plant, that might not necessarily translate as well to other types of products. And one of the purposes of the the picture I posted was to show the matte finish of a typical phosphate finish from that period. That it’s a period German one is just a fortuitous circumstance (I also collect U.S. from that era and they are also matte finishes). With a phosphate finish not being an oxide finish like bluing, but a physical crystalline coating on steel not unlike in some respects to electroplating. And what I am seeing on the blades looks like bluing. And in some of the images what looks like corrosion byproducts, and some other things that should not normally be there if the images are true representations (meaning accurate) of the items being discussed.

Best Regards, FP

How do you know what the SS finish should be at this stage of the war? I am calling this a phospate finish because it does not look like a blueing. On the scabbard where the finish is missing in one area, I can see nothing in the pores of the metal on the scabbard. Everything seems to be gone. Richard K