Originally Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP

Richard.

First my thanks for posting the new pictures. And I think that I understand the points that you are trying to make. But look at this image you posted. What do you see? What don't you see? And how does it compare to the areas that you say were ground away - which could be a reference check for your stated opinion?

FP,

What I wanted to know is if you could see the type of rough finishes on the bayonet. One scabbard has about 95% of the manufacturer and date removed. You can not see that from the pictures that you have. But this same type of buff grind finish is also on the blade and pommel area. Note that the SS Property Stamp is in Excellent Condition and under the finish. The point is, why was such an extensive rework done to these bayonets when the war was in its last stages. Like the old sayng, "Arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic." These were battfield salvaged bayonets. Why do anything to them. The rifle that Walther sent home was dated 1943 and when I looked at it, the gun was reblued and coated with a cosmoline type grease. I do not know if the Germans put the grease on or if Walther did it.

Richard K

Best Regards, FP