Originally Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP
Richard,

While we are waiting. With as I recall: 120 SS marked bayonets, 75 SS marked frogs, and all the other things that collectors tend to accumulate. I can certainly understand where managing such a large large group has its own problems keeping track of everything. So from a reader’s perspective I think that you can probably understand where it is not always easy to follow the discussion as to what is being discussed or pictured. For example:

I pulled the last bayonet for the day. This SS Bayonet is very interesting and rare. It was originally mated with a Steyer bnz Single Rune 43.
The bayonet is as follows:
1. WKC Blade.
2. No WAs
3. SS Accountability #742 on the Ricasso.
4. Blanko Scabbard with #742
5. Excellent SS Property Stamp.
6. Single Rune on the Crossguard
7. 742 Numbered Grips
8. Wooden Grips
9. Grip SS Property Stamped
10. Grip dated 1943.
My opinion is that this bayonet could have been assembled and issued with the 1943 Steyer BNZ Single Rune Rifle.
Note: The grips seem oversize for the tang area. Grip sticks above Pommel & crossguard.”

WKC Marked Blade, Rough grind on blade
Minimum polish on blade 85% / 90% blue on blade
Marks on tang: Large H; Large Ar; #5 on oppsite side of tang.
No WAs
SS Property Mark: Stamped Runes 2 over TK rotated.
Accountability #: 368. Looks pantagraphed engraved.
Blanko Scabbard with pantagraped engraved 368.
Grips: Wood / Camp Made Grips Marked: 1941 & Runes

The SS WKC Blanko is accountability #368. SS Property mark is Runes 2 over Death Head; Rotated. No WA. Matching scabbard. Just pulled this bayonet so as to make a grip comparrison.

But what we then saw was a 1940 dated grip plate. Is it from another WKC marked bayonet, or was it from from some other maker? Also, do you consider the Sigrunen inside of a circle marking an SS property stamp, some kind of rework stamp, or a camp identifier mark? Because with the Death's heads, Death's heads with runes, Single Sigrunes, Double Sigrunes, the SSZZA marks, and probably some types of marks we have not even seen yet it can tend to make it a little difficult to know which kind of grouping the marking of an item should be in. And any input would be greatly appreciated to try and sort this all out.

Best Regards, FP

FP,

Another factor that comes into play and I do not know the full
signifiance of it is the orientation of the property marks. I havent got into that yet. Just do not know.

I hope Denny can get the Death Head Lugers up along with the 45 dated SS bayonets yet today. I am heading home now. Long day with snow.

Richard K
o