Originally Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP
Which brings me to this last one:

"Andy,
I have several SS VZ-24 Bayonets that retain the muzzle rings and have SS Property marks. I just took the grips off of one SS VZ-24 bayonets with a muzzle ring and the grips are marked as follows:
1. Accountability #57 matches bayonet.
2. SS Property Stamp.
3. 1939 date stamp."

I don’t know if this is supposed to be one of the “camp made” bayonet grips that you mentioned or not. But it's clear to me that the stampings were made after the fact. On the surface of a grip plate that was next to a rusted/grease (whatever) inner tang surface.

Best Regards, FP

FP,

As per the SS Camp Grips which have accountability #57 on them, they are matched to the accountability # on the bayonet & scabbard / same stamp. The grips are of extremely better condition than the scabbard and do not show the heavy usage as the scabbard. I do not agree that these numbers were put on after the war. This is a Glenn de Ruiter bayonet that was inported into this country in barrels. When I got the bayonet it was still coated in some heavy type of oil that that it had been stored in or was shipped in. I discussed the pricing that Glenn had on his bayonets previously.

Richard K