Originally Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP
Richard,

There was a lot of discussion earlier today, but here are three items that caught my interest more than the others.

Originally Posted By: richkuch43@aol.com
.................. As I said before, you need to get your facts straight when the bayonets and rifles started to be reworked by the SS. I went through three SS VZ-24 bayonets with muzzle rings and all were dated 1939.

................. I just pulled an unblued SS VZ -24 Bayonet. Accountability # 174. Grips are numbered and date stamped 1939. This bayonet also has the muzzle ring removed.

All 1939 dated, both with and without the muzzle ring. And I’m assuming that all of them have the Death’s Head/Skull type markings on them somewhere? But what does concern me a little is the fact that you state the forth one is not blued (which means that the three with muzzle rings are blued?).

FP, The Pommel, tang, & crossguard are blued the blade is parked / light gray. Andy stated that he could see blades in the white in the pictures that he was looking at; however, the blades could be the light gray parkarize.

Richard K
But the forth one has the muzzle ring removed which is not seen until circa 1941 with new production. But why isn't it blued like the other 1939's, or the later production types which are blued? And still remains bright finished like the early full muzzle ring types. And with all of them having 1939 dates, why are they configured so differently? So is it possible to have some images posted of all the markings you’ve mentioned for these four bayonets. And possibly a few that include the original production dates?

Originally Posted By: richkuch43@aol.com
................. Some SS VZ-24 bayonets were imported into this country by Mr. DeRuiter from Sarco. Mr De Ruiter was a member of the original Carbiners Collectors Network. He sold some rare SS VZ-24 bayonets to some of us for the exorbtant price of $12.50. An original SS frog for the VZ-24 was another $1.50. .......... He had bayonets ranging in quality from being run over by a tank to Very Good plus condition.

As for this statement, is it possible to see exactly which bayonets, and the frog that came from Sarco. From Mr. De Ruiter’s hands to your hands? That would no doubt help us establish a baseline in case some unscrupulous individuals had decided to fake the bayonets after the supply from Sarco ran out. And if you can, with some really good pictures, so we can all see exactly what you are talking about. Helping us to visualize the points you are making. Thanks.

Best Regards, FP