Originally Posted By: AndyB
........ WaA623 is of Steyr production, i believe the part of production were realised in Mauthausen, so some rifles could have the camp production mixed with work? These rifles were made in other period as the Gew.98 reworks,so its new production of K98k, it couldnt be mixed, same as the property stamps on SG98/05 are there from early 30ies and the sniper rifle is what date? best regards,Andy

Really a topic unto itself, in 1944 Himmler boasted of 1/3 of gun barrel production made in Germany was as the result of the workforce under the control of the SS. But then he also claimed 1/3 of fighter aircraft production as well. So while there is some truth in the mater, there is also considerable exaggeration as well. (And then there were also those “guest/other” workers who were not in the camps.)

Originally Posted By: AndyB
To the mentioned salvaged reworks it would be to awaiting same marking, to sample same proofing of parts, or You believe that every depot or repair facility have own system of marking? The army repair pieces are normally reserialed numbers on blade or scabbard, reserialed grips or assembly numbers and reblued, no new WaA there as the inspectors were only by firms best regards, Andy

The above looks like a valid observation. I think that it has been stated on multiple occasions that the “geometry” (type and placement) of the markings has a significance. And it certainly could have some significance. But with the items I’ve seen presented so far, I can’t detect a pattern that seems to make sense.

Originally Posted By: richkuch43@aol.com
FP, Almost forgot about the SS WBD marked frogs. Can you post a good one and any bad ones if you have them. I have 2 and I will pull them and try and get some pictures so that they can be evaluated. Richard Kuchta

I think that the WBD photos are probably with the VA photos. The one I posted just happened to be with some others I had seen recently.

FP, ................ My opinion is that at some time period in the 1940s the SS received direct shipments of rifles and bayonets from the Army contractors. Richard Kuchta

There is some documentation and evidence relating to arms deliveries. But much too involved to address with a short answer.

Andy, As per the Wood Grips with SS Markings and dates in them, they are seen in the early SS VT Bayonets, SS Early & Late TV Bayonets and Waffen SS Bayonets. These grips are referred to as Camp Grips. Usually whatever you find them on has been reworked: reblued, accountability numbered, etc.
However, The camp grips are usually95% always found on SS VZ-24 bayonets. This model of SS Bayonet has always been modified & or reworked.

Could you please expand or explain further about these other bayonets. I remember something about the Vz. 24 grips. But not some of these other ones.

Andy, Another thought, as per you having a problem with SS Markings being in a place where you can not see them.

Take for instance the SS Property mark on A VZ-24 rifle. Want to take a guess where the SS Property Mark is located? The SS Property Stamp on the VZ-24s are very consistent where they are placed. The mark is below the stock line and you have to remove the top barrel protector. That is not a very easy job to do. It is about 100 times more difficult to do than removing the grips from a bayonet. Why did the SS Property Mark the VZ-24 rifles where they did? Why put it where you can not see it? Good question to answer. Richard Kuchta

This also is a new area that I don’t remember. And it’s been a while since I’ve had one disassembled. How do you know which Vz. 24 to take apart?

And I would be remiss to not include something new to look at. Here is an original item that was altered to appeal to the “collector market”. The first image shows the backstrap. And in the second we see the engraved pommel with the "SS" motif. And in the third we see not only a a pair of Sigrunes made with something like sharpened chisels or screwdriver blades. But, apparently lacking a set of period number stamps. They made their own “1” stamps adding the upper part of the “1” separately as is pointed out. But not illustrated with markers are the "5" and "4" that were done the same way as the "1". Which is also why you want really good photos before you buy an item.

PS: When trying to read through long quotes to find new material it's very easy to miss something. If the characters could be made "bold face". Or the new text added to the end of the quote, it makes it a lot easier to see a response to a comment, or new material.

Best Regards to All, FP

fake-SS-bayo-bckstrp-W.jpg (21.98 KB, 159 downloads)
fake-SS-dress-bayo-pommel-W.jpg (37.38 KB, 159 downloads)
fake-SS-bayo-markings-W.jpg (21.3 KB, 159 downloads)