Originally Posted By: richkuch43@aol.com

My opinion is that the battfield savalge (a bayonet with no scabbard and or broken parts was sent to a SS Weapons Work Camp where an item was either repaired ; salvaged for parts; and or used as is. We got somewhat into the discussion on the 1945 Phospate Finish, Consecutive Numbered bayonets that were taken from such a facility. The work camps were located more inside of the borders of Germany and the Death Camps were further out.

Richard,

I understand the idea of an SS repair facility. And have some idea as to some of the camps that had access to the equipment needed as it relates to arms. But am really more interested in looking at the items to see how the rebuilding/conversions were accomplished.

Also, thank you for posting the frog. I think I can recognise a difference allready. Do the fake VA Frogs have all of the geometry stamped within a rectangle?

If by “geometry” you mean configuration, I’ve seen other kinds of SS items with VA markings inside borders that could be considered rectangular. And some otherwise generic frogs that have the markings within a stamped border. But not VA marked frogs with the markings inside of stamped rectangular borders.

Andy & FP,

Please look at the grouping of SS Property Marks that Denny Posted. There are several pictures showing rifles with WA 623 stamps on them along with SS Property Stamps. I have not looked at these rifles in years but I would bet the bank that they all received some type of rework of some sort. Rifles usually receive an Eagle N or a Crown N when the SS Property Stamp is applied.

Richard K

From memory, WaA 623 is seen with a number of new manufacture items: rifles, machine guns, pistols, some holsters and parts. So maybe it’s just a marking on a new barrel? But not by itself a rework stamp.

Best Regards, FP