FP,

In regards to the SS marked frogs, I went over the frogs again this this morning and came up with the same results.

I did not count the KS Frogs because it would be difficult to group them.

I did not count the shorties because I have none.

I did not count the SS Police Bayonet Frogs because the population is too small and could be easily skewed.

However, I do agree with your statement concerning hilt retainers on Waffen SS Frogs. If you look at all of the pictures of Waffen SS Men you see alot of bayonets with hilt straps. My collection does not reflect that fact. I could have excluded SS Carried Bayonets if they did not have the SS Property stamp. I would have never recognised the bayonets as being SS. It stands to reason that at some point in time that the SS was receiving WA / Army bayonets, rifles & equipment.

I have an interesting bayonet that may have some bearing on your point, FP. My bayonet ia a 1940 cul; serial #4602; letter W; WA 883. The scabbard is matching. The bayonet came in a SS Property marked frog. This bayonet is recorded on a capture paper along with a SS Property marked 98/05; Accountability #29 and a SS belt & buckle & medals. If this bayonet was not in a SS marked frog, I would have not even considered it and would have passed it up.This group of items that I have just described were sent home by Pvt. Edward T. Samuelson on 3 Sept, 1945 in a German wooden instrument box which I also have.

Richard K