Originally Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP
Richard,

No offense, but now I'm the one who is confused. All of the external markings were removed. But the serial numbers, 1945 dates, and Death's Head markings are all on the interiors of the grips? With new manufacture grips that still show the milling marks from when they were machined. And the bayonet from the outside looks like it's not numbered? You also say that it is a heavy phosphate. Can you identify the type?

FP,

Let me try to clear up your confusion:

1. My opinion is that these SS Bayonets initially started off as battlefield salvaged bayonets.

2. The orignal serial numbers, manufacturer codes, dates were removed from the bayonet and scabbards. On one scabbard, I can see just a little bit of the manufacturer's code showing when using a magnifying glass.

3. New serial numbers were applied to both the bayonet and scabbard. Very precise metal stamp.

4. SS Property stamp was applied to the bayonet.

5. Internal grips contain 45 date, serial #, & TK.

6. The phospate is very dark, not the light gray.

With workmanship that is better than anything you have ever seen previously. I don't know why so much work would be put into them either, and I guess it will remain a mystery as to just what you have been looking at.

Best Regards, FP