Richard (and Andy),

I’ve looked at the pictures for the Paul Weyersberg. With a “6” on the crossguard, and another “6” underneath the “6915” serial number on the other side of a muzzle ring marked commercial Police bayonet. Just offhand, I don’t know why it would have those two markings like that. But I can say that Weyersberg in particular, in that general time frame did some unusual things. Commercial Police bayonets (no WaA) marked in the military fashion with dates. Military bayonets with “quotes” and underlining. And of course the “Tr serial number” marked bayonets. So (to me) I’m not sure that it has any special significance, and I'm also not sure just when it was applied.

I also looked over the comments this morning, and can offer the observation that the various Navy marked items are reasonably consistent. Whereas I can’t say the same (IMO) for the bayonet markings that were posted. And the proof of the matter might be in bayonets we haven’t seen yet. But I’m leaning towards Andy’s view.

And for the SS ZZA bayonets we haven’t seen them yet, so I think that the “jury has to be out” until we have something more to work with.

As for when the Waffen SS actually started receiving arms from the Army/Wehrmacht, I looked into it a while back. And don’t remember the particulars. But my immediate recollection is that the SS started receiving arms in the period after the fall of France, but before Operation Barbarossa.

And here is the picture I remembered of the bayonet knot.

Regards to All, FP

98K-bayo--w-knot-2.jpg (63.45 KB, 191 downloads)