Originally Posted By: JWotka
Richard, I surely appreciate your dedication to your collecting hobby. And I appreciate the opportunity to view your varied collection. But perhaps it just comes down to whether other collectors accept your premise regarding these SS marked bayonets and other items. "It comes down to the fact that we do not know why the SS did property mark their bayonets. But they did and these pieces exist today as proof."

You have stated your premise is valid and we need to provide proof or explanation for it. Some of us would like to see the evidence before we accept the premise.

Richard,

Years ago on the original BCN. There was a tremendous discussion that went on back and forth for years about what were called by collectors the “breadbag” frogs. And the bayonets that they were often seen with.

And it took a lot, and I mean a lot, of discussion before some tentative conclusions were reached. Said frogs never seen in the UK (other than a few acquired from the U.S.), and in Europe only a few seen from France.

Likewise, you have stated that you have a significant amount of bayonets and frogs that are virtually unknown to a lot of the collecting world. So if the past is any guide, you should probably expect a lot of discussion.

But as Joe said, it’s going to take an examination of the items to see if we can see some kind of pattern that can be determined. Which is what helped us (the collectors) with the “breadbags”. And right now it’s an open topic with a lot of questions to be asked, and looked into and answered in turn as was the case earlier.

Best Regards, FP

PS to Andy: I have a matching original finish partially Waffenamted police (that has a noticeable manufacturing defect that does not affect its functionality) with no other external markings than a German Police Eagle on the spine.