Originally Posted By: richkuch43@aol.com
Joe,

I know that I have read several articles specifically stating that officers were required to purchase their own equipment. I do not remember the article specifically stating a bayonet.

The majority of the SS VT bayonets in my collection have accountability numbers on them. Several do not. Those that do not are in much better condition than those with accountability numbers.

I need to check my SS TV bayonets to see how the accountability numbers are.

Richard K

Richard,

Speaking generally, from memory, officers were given an allowance to purchase uniform items and that would (or could) include pistols. And while private purchase bayonets as sidearms in the trenches for officers in WW I might have not been uncommon. And while there are a few pictures in circulation showing otherwise, bayonets generally were for enlisted men. And senior NCO's (who were enlisted) were given government property swords if the occasion warranted, not bayonets. Note: Here I'm referring to parades, ceremonies etc. not combat. And in combat officers would have pistols as sidearms, (or maybe sub machine guns or something with more firepower if it was close combat).

PS: And what exactly do you mean by accountability numbers?

Best Regards, FP