Originally Posted By: richkuch43@aol.com
Forum Members,

I would like to cover the following topics on SS Bayonets:

3. Bayonet Models used by the SS. German & Foreign captured.

Please give me your thoughts on the topics.

Richard Kuchta

Jumping ahead to number three. The image to the right is one of my favorites in showing that soldiers tend to use whatever is available. Being a couple of the images of the Selbstladegewehr 259 (r) (aka the Russian Model 1940 Tokarev rifle) in the service of the SS. I also have one (that is one of the ones that I'm having a problem locating) with the bayonet itself mounted on a belt.

"And believe it or not. There is or was one with German markings, that is probably still in a collection somewhere." I really should have elaborated on the preceding statement with the following information to avoid any misunderstanding: It was an original matching Model 1940 Tokarev rifle that was being offered for sale. As I recall at 3 or 4 times the price of a standard rifle in that condition. The extra premium in price was due to the rifle being sold as a:
Quote:
“German Ordnance marked gun that was used to help develop Germany's own self loading rifles”.

And it had Waffenamts stamped in strategic locations to 'prove' the story. I did not purchase it. Nor did anyone that I knew. And the rifle has since disappeared, and I have not seen or heard of it since I first saw it. So I’m assuming that somebody still has it in his collection. A few years after I saw it, I found out the source of the Waffenamts. They were original period stamps that had been borrowed from a collector, who had no idea that the friend he loaned them to "just study them", was going to do anything other than just closely look them. But the individual that he had thought was a friend - instead used the stamps to make some fakes (altered originals) that were specifically targeted for the 'TR collectors market'. Because Third Reich era gun collectors would pay a lot more money for the gun than a Russian arms collector would.

Regards to All, FP

Selbstladegewehr 259 (r) copy.jpg (106.65 KB, 311 downloads)
Last edited by Fred Prinz - FP; 11/19/2010 11:30 PM.