Richard, I have not posted photos of my RZM bayonet here. As to the portepees, I don't have the answer. My guess is the metallic portepees are earlier, being of the same materials as the silver examples with runes on the stems, often called "officer" portepees, even though they are sometimes seen on NCO weapons. Those appeared around 1935-36. The VT and W-SS portepees may have been the same, maybe not. I think not, since there are few seen, given the size of the W-SS. I have always thought it odd that no known official W-SS bayonet portepee was issued. They may have been the controversial metallic type with black thread, seen in at least two types. If that is the case, very few, if any, were issued. Many believe they are postwar, plain and simple. I, too, have noticed there seem to be few RZM bayonets and have wondered why there aren't more. Perhaps the dagger quickly replaced it, leading to few RZM bayonets being manufactured. The RZM stamp indicates the manufacture date is likely 1935, just before the daggers came out. Also, the standard dress bayonets, short and long, must have come out somewhere during this time, perhaps eliminating the need for RZM markings. I agree the hilts on the early bayonets age and wear poorly. They often show "bubbling," peeling, "wear-through," etc. It's too bad the materials aren't better, so many would be better preserved. The early history of Third Reich edged weapons and their accouterments seems somewhat convoluted. It appears there was a struggle within the party to get organized and to standardize things for a time in the early and mid-1930's. Edged weapons, uniforms, insignia, etc., were all subject to change during that time and even later.