Richard,

There are a number of items to be addressed, so I will try and be brief. We have confirmation of the Police marked Vz. 24 (Andy - new manufacture like a �dot� would be a Sg 24(t) without the muzzle ring?) And as we speak, you should already have an email link.

Originally Posted By: [email protected]
Andy,

You say that the inspectors were there to watch over the production of bayonets. The majority of the bayonets used by the SS came out of the work camps. VZ-24 bayonets were renumbered by the SS. Why? Very time consuming and was it necessary? In the collector's community of SS bayonets, it is believed that internal marked grips reflects camp fabrication & or rework. Internal marked grips are also found on SS 84/98 & 98/05 bayonets.

Richard Kuchta

This really is a fairly complex topic, so it's going to be greatly summarized. And I�m doing it from memory, not having the time to pull references.

Time is the critical element with reworks in general, and how KZ labor was employed. There is period film, and still images, showing what appear to be KZ workers in factories making what look like new production rifles. And if I remember it correctly, it was Albert Speer, the Minister of Armaments and War Production who made complaints about not getting enough workers. The poor diet for workers and other issues. Facts which were greatly hindering his efforts. And then there was Himmler. Who was trying to get contracts from the OKH (Wehrmacht) for arms production. The development of the �V� weapons, aircraft component production, etc. etc.

So while the idea of �camp� production might possibly work in the early years. What were they actually using the limited resources for that they had in ............... let�s say 1945??

Originally Posted By: AndyB
............. By DH on crossguard it must be certainly examined but without picture is nothing more to say. best regards,Andy

Which is why I would like to also get a look at the 1945 dated phosphate finished bayonets, having spent at least some time in looking at the �last ditch� production items. Because with just a verbal mention, just what is it that we are actually talking about??

PS: Do you have all of the years in your collection? From the German takeover/occupation to 1945?

Regards, FP

Last edited by Fred Prinz - FP; 11/09/2010 11:28 PM.