Disbo,

I understand your problem all too well. I bought a german army general's tunic that has been badly mothed. In Australia, these sort of people advertise that they do 'invisible mending' and I have heard they can do a very good job. My tunic could only benefit from their work, and I intend to get it done, as soon as I can find another piece of similar material for them to use. Normally they cut excess pieces out from behind linings, inside sleeves, behind seams etc, but I would prefer they not do that in my case, if at all possible.

One of their common techniques, for larger holes that can't be closed, is to put a piece of matching material behind it, and blend it with the rest, until you can hardly see the repair. Of course such work is rarely completely undetectable, but a good repair is better than a big hole, which is only likely to get worse, with age.

So if anyone has some scraps of high quality gray/green material from an army officer's tunic that was too far gone, I might be interested in it.

David!

If anyone is interested, I can post some pictures of my moth victim.

Last edited by AussieDave; 11/07/2010 02:53 AM.