Originally Posted By: [email protected]
Joe,

I should clarify even more. The size and position of the Death Head varies for the SS/VT. There are 3 specific positions where the Death Head is stamped on the back of the frog. Why the different sizes of Death Heads, I do not know. There are also the SS/VT WW1 frogs that have the Death Head & Date (very early).

For the SS/TV there is usually only one location for the Standarte Property Stamp. SS/TV Property Stamp can be a combination of Death Head with numbers; Death Head with numbers & Date; Death Head with Letters, Numbers; and sometimes date. Bayonet serial numbers are sometimes found on the SS/TV Frogs.

Waffen SS camp made frogs can be found completely sterile or with the SS VA stamp. SS VA Stamp can also accompany the frog manufacturer logo.

Richard Kuchta

Speaking in general, there has been a LOT of fakery where supposed "SS" bayonet frogs are concerned. With one of the problems in making a connection for example to the Waffen SS, being that it did not 'officially' exist as such until early 1940, and some other issues. And the existence of VA marked frogs in 1938, and I believe 1937 as well, but I will need to check. FP

Last edited by Fred Prinz - FP; 11/01/2010 11:26 PM.