IMO I would do something about the surface rust and there are some guys out here that know exactly what to do in removing it and not corrupting whats beneath. Surface rust IMO could possibly take a turn and go into your scabbard. I know all these years it has been sitting on top but I myself would not like to find out if one day it gets worse and i regret it. I dont see anything wrong with removing rust. But only if its possible.

Originally Posted By: E Rader
Normally cleaning the patina off any antique is a sin! I never understood why German dagger collectors feel the need to tinker and buff these!

E Rader is right,, This is true in removing patina which shows its true age,, but surface rust is just like early signs of skin cancer from overexposure from the beach. I myself would not wait as far as the scabbard is concerned. Im sure you would like to see a return of the black anodizing on your scabbard, and leave everything else alone!!

Also in its present condition it does tell a story where it has been all these years,,but the surface rust?? I would be willing to remove it with the guidance of others out here who have successfully done it. I have seen the beautiful outcome when done correctly and with the use of the right oils,, the return of its original luster. Larry

Last edited by Siegfried B; 11/01/2010 03:24 AM.

Historical Stewardship is a Trusted Honor that must be kept!