Don,

This is the second badge of this type I've seen in a couple of years, however, are they authentic? ... quite possibly.

As you said the German word "Raeude" is commonly associated with mange or scabies - nasty, contagious skin diseases caused by parasitic mites found among domestic and wild animals and sometimes even humans. One can easily see why outbreaks would be cause for alarm especially among hunters, foresters, farmers and animal breeders.

I asked two good friends in Germany what they thought of the possibilities of a small sub-organ established within the DJ? One being a retired chief-forester and the other a professional hunter, both said they were unfamiliar with the badges but the chances of them being authentic were very good.

The quality of the enamel work, materials and overall construction of the badge is excellent, exactly what one could expect to see in original period pieces. The fact that the first one I looked at was very reasonably priced also leads me to believe they may be real. Who in their right mind would go to such great lengths to produce these and then basically give them away at below-market prices?

However, being a bit of a "doubting-Thomas" myself, I've never seen the badge listed in a period catalog or reference, or seen an in-wear photograph for that matter, so I'll have to say, definitely maybe. As for a fair price I'd say if you can find one for $150 or less, the badge will make a good addition to any hunting/forestry collection, no matter what the true status might be - good, bad or ugly. Hopefully we'll uncover more info about these unique badges in due time?

Not organizational badges in the truest sense, but a related trio nonetheless, three more pins from Gary's collection of hunting, forestry and shooting related goodies. While the first and third pins are rare and in outstanding condition, let me call your attention to the shooting club badge in the center. This lovely unit was presented to the shooting-king of the club from Kamenz in 1934, and portrays the best of all worlds - a wonderful crossbow motif that exhibits fine detail, silver and gilded-silver work, enameling and sports the maker's mark of, W.Walther DresdenN. (nord)

Best regards!

Bill

hegeusw1sm.jpg (82.54 KB, 169 downloads)