I haven't to this point posted a standard WKC model Fire Official's dagger, until now. I was waiting to pick up a nice example, possibly with a nice engraved scabbard dedication. Every once in a while one pops up that's nicely conditioned but it's usually priced in the stars so I waited. And I'm glad I did. This one popped up maybe 4 years ago & I knew I had to have it. I hope by looking at it that you will see why.

Right off the bat, this piece has what looks like a period knot wrapped around the crossguard. Now Imperial/Weimar period Feuerwehr knots are fairly scarce but they are out there. Usually if you see one on a dagger, it's more than likely a Feuerwehr sword knot. You know the type, large, wide bulb with a wide & flat strap.

But this one was different. First of all, the strap is like a dagger strap, thin & round. Secondly, there are red flecks in the strap & stem. Thirdly, the cat's anus has a carmine dot. Seldom does an accouterment really stoke me but this one did. I had never before (or since) seen such a knot. It was just snugly enough wrapped to make me feel it was there the whole time. And boy is it toned, remember this knot was originally silver bullion.

OK so that's the knot, but what about the dagger? Looks like a garden variety, albeit minty, WKC example. Right?

1.JPG (102.68 KB, 187 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310