OK so maybe this isn't one of the more recognizable types smile This is a Fire Official's dagger for the region of Alsace Lorraine. Different, huh? I bought it close to 10 years ago when I didn't even know what it was. Thought it was cool & when I heard there was a Feuerwehr connection, well that was it.

Clearly this model dagger was constructed much differently than the standard German Fire Official's dagger. I mean, everything about it is different. Initially when I looked at it, I was struck by it's Spartan appearance. It does look like a no nonsense weapon actually. The blade is not etched but is thick & one sided, not double edged like the standard dagger. It also has a double fuller, something we'll see on some additional Alsace pieces to be posted in the future. And it's worn from the belt like a bayonet, not suspended on hangers. Interesting to say the least.

The condition is not the best but I can count on one hand how many I've seen in 10 years of looking & still have fingers left. Condition aside, this was one of those occasions where you have to strike while the iron is hot.

1.JPG (98.09 KB, 166 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310