Dean,

The story behind the stoneware is a most interesting glimpse into European life on the continent during the early 1700's.
Here's a quick but colorful description of the origin of 'Steinzeug' in Germany ...

Alchemy Chemistry, Porcelain and Bottger
By: Laura Evans

Those practicing alchemy chemistry during the 17th and 18th Centuries were frequently imprisoned to either keep them working or keep them from sharing "secrets" and, if the going got really tough, were hung for their failures. Young Johann Friedrich B�ttger was exactly in this position in the early 1700's.

Europeans Greedy for the Secret

Ever since porcelain arrived in Europe from China, Europeans struggled to replicate the recipe for making this fine ceramic and failed. China closely guarded the secret. Augustus the Strong, the Elector of Saxony and King of Poland, was one of the wealthy Europeans who collected porcelain at a feverish pace. Augustus the Strong wanted porcelain and wanted money.

Johann B�ttger had a classic alchemist's education. His abilities were well known enough that when the King of Prussia summoned him, B�ttger bolted to Saxony to stay out of harm's way. Unfortunately, Augustus the Strong also knew about B�ttger's abilities, captured him, and put him under guard. B�ttger struggled to change metal into gold and, of course, failed.

B�ttger teams with Tschirmhaus

Fortunately for B�ttger, Ehrenfried Walther von Tschirmhaus, a noted physicist and mathematician, was also in the King's service. Tschirmhaus had been working for years to find the formula for porcelain. B�ttger joined Tshcirmhaus in working on the project. B�ttger was on the road to success when he produced the hard red stoneware that bears his name, Boettger porcelain. Unfortunately, Tschirmhaus died in 1708, one year before B�ttger put together the puzzle and produced real porcelain. This did not end B�ttger's woes. Augustus the Strong still wanted gold and also wanted to prevent anyone else from getting the formula for porcelain.

In 1710, the Meissen factory opened under Augustus' patronage to produce commercial porcelain. In 1713, Meissen offered European porcelain for sale for the first time. And what about B�ttger? While B�ttger was a free man when he died at the age of 37 in 1719, he died a penniless alcoholic.

Pretty wild story, eh? grin

Tiberius,

It looks as though you've found another incredible piece for your growing collection, I admire your good taste. The piece is titled, 'Einsiedler,' which can mean monk or hermit or convey the message of deep-thinker, which St. Jerome certainly was. I believe the 'von S. Koninck,' means after an original painting by Koninck, who lived from 1609-1659.

I can't give you a production date as I don't have enough experience with those lovely markings found on the plaques and other limited-edition series. Professor Fritz Klee of the Hutschenreuther Kunst Abteilung also had some exquisite markings on the bottoms of his pieces, too. Let us know if you get some more info on this, please?

Can't wait to see your next acquisition, much good luck!

Here's one of my recent finds, a big ol' fatso Javan Rhino by Meissen. I'm not certain of the age of this unit either, but I think it's safe to say he's at least around a hundred and twenty-five years old, from the marks - hope we look this good at that age too. grin

Best!

Bill

rhino3sm.jpg (46.98 KB, 117 downloads)