Dean,

Your nice comments are much too kind, I do enjoy sharing my limited knowledge with those who have an interest in our fine hobby. On the other hand, without you sharing your great images with us, I'd have nothing to add. grin

Our old friend and chief Nordic-god, Odin/Wotan is back with us in this illustration, a fine representation for the Bundes der Germanen, or Society of (old) Germans. I'd surmise these clubs or fraternities were responsible for keeping the old traditions and customs alive, much like those folks who are involved with the Renaissance clubs and fairs we have in the States today.

You mentioned that you're seeing lightning depictions in more of your artwork and wondered about the meaning? I'll try to put us on track with a few definitions of lightning used in art ... spiritual illumination; enlightenment; revelation; the descent of power; sudden realization of truth cutting across time and space; the Eternal Now; the destruction of ignorance; nutrition; the masculine power. These interpretations will make it easier to see why this celestial power is associated with Wotan's strength and knowledge.

I'm not sure if the wolves are meant to represent Fenrir the wolf, son of Loki? (Geri and Freki?) ... but I'm pretty sure the crow/raven figures are meant to portray Huginn & Muninn. (also spelled Hugin and Munin) A super illustration of the old German hunter/warrior. Wish I could interpret the runic inscription for you but that's way beyond me.

The second card looks to be either a pencil or charcoal rendering from here, illustrating one of the three virtues, charity, caring for an exhausted soldier. Charity or love being the strongest and most dominant of the virtues, outweighing faith and hope. An unlimited loving-kindness toward all others, not to be confused with the benevolent giving of material wealth.

The artist's skills are self-evident in his anatomy, perspective and composition of the two figures. It's nice the way the drawing captures not only the warm, physical embrace
of Charity's arms, but also the double-envelopment of her warm, caressing cape - well done. The old boy looks to be nearly at the end of his rope, utterly exhausted, hungry
and totally devoid of fighting spirit ... to be reborn in the arms of this lovely maiden. And maybe, just maybe, she'll have coffee, cigarettes and doughnuts, too? heh .. what more could a tired warrior ask for ..?? smile

Best regards and thanks!

Bill

Last edited by WWII; 07/31/2010 01:19 PM.