Jason, Thanks for the link to the hallmark web site. Hallmarks are not something that I have any particular knowledge of, although I do find them interesting.

When I look at the sum total of the period examples of the Birthday swords in Tom Wittmann�s �SS� book. On the sword fittings besides the "800" silver content mark, one other factor became apparent. They all have the �King� type of crown which would have been appropriate for the Imperial era. And to the left it looks like a crescent moon - probably shown to its best advantage with the hallmark of "Ludwig Neresheimer" on the list.

I have no idea why both the crown and the moon (as parts of hallmarks) are seen so often on the list. Other than it must have been traditional for some reason. The crown I can easily see as a carry over device from the Imperial era. And the moon as a symbol had a significance which was very popular much earlier in Germany as seen on the �Talisman� types of sword blades. I'm not questioning that is what happened - but the two together?

I did not find the Gahr mark on the list either which seems to be a work in progress. But don�t attach any particular significance to that because of the many known Gahr artifacts which are in existence. And I would agree that more research should be done. Because unless someone already has experience with this alternate marking, a more exhaustive search is needed to try and make a better determination of its source. Regards, FP

Talisman-18th.jpg (50.28 KB, 711 downloads)