I think its time here to set a few things straight.
There is obviously a difference of opinion here that is not going to go away. Various and sundry arguments one way or the other are not going to change anyone's mind and there seems to be a trend here for some to have an agenda to destroy some of the major treasures of the hobby with what they and others would think are logical arguments. However, those in the hobby for a time might well counter that, in reality, the Germans were not near as regimented as we would be led to believe and many times not all that logical and or methodical, especially in the production of edged weapons. MANY mistakes in the production of edged weapons were made, and they did not bother to correct them. MANY examples have been given here before in other threads.
So--Who to believe?? I would just like to add my final post on this thread, that I hope, based on my 50+ years of experience, and 50+ years of love of the hobby will help the unsure to decide.
First I would like to say that I know personally most of what I consider the leading major collectors and dealers in the US and many of those abroad and in Canada. There is no doubt that they consider the NSKK High Leader, with the signature, to be one of the historic treasures of the hobby, and 100% original.
Having said that, let's talk about the true WWII German dagger/edged weapon experts in the US. There really are not that many, at least those who can,--as soon as you mention a particular piece, off the top of their head, in most cases, name all the characteristics of the original, according to maker, and the time period it was made-early to late--and based on MANY in-hand, extensive examinations of those pieces.
So, who are these true experts?--and how did they get that way? Well, you know some of them quite well. They are high profile authors, collectors and dealers who, over a period of many years, have studied these pieces right down to the last screw.
But, here is the thing-- just wanting to do that is not enough. You must have access to these pieces-and the ability to "take them down" to inspect them. This is the key. When it comes to the major rarities it is only the VERY few who have the contacts to do this. You can't, with any hope of success, just walk up to say-- Tom Wittmann and say -hey I wanna take your SA high leader apart and look at it for about an hour.----You know what he's gonna tell you---UNLESS-You are among a VERY few.
OK--So I want to tell you that I have known Jason for many years, and he is low key, but he is one of those experts who can, and has, done just that.
Jason has had unlimited access to extensive examination of all the pieces in the Waitts collection, which was one of the largest and finest collections ever assembled--and that's not all-I would not hesitate to say that he has no doubt examined in hand the vast majority of all the SA/NSKK honor daggers known to exist in collections today at one time or another.
So, It's up to you. Do you believe Jason and the vast majority of the major, experienced, and advanced collectors and dealers in the world? or someone else?
I hope you will choose correctly, as, IMO, I have. Let's not destroy the NSKK High Leader w/ signature. Hopefully, it will always be thought of as one as of the original treasures of the hobby-- by the vast majority.

MAX & OVMS Life Member, MAX Bd. of Experts. GDC Platinum Dealer. Collector since 1955.