I had a friend (now deceased) who was a very serious collector of autographs. His main complaint was that especially with those who were famous, or led very busy lives, that they often used: secretaries, personal assistants, staff members, spouses or whomever was available to keep up with the demand for signatures. And that as far as he was concerned they were of little value because they did not come personally from the individual, and might (or might not) be good imitations of the way that the individual signed their name.

Back on August 14th Mikee referred to Hamilton's book with the observation that in his opinion the award plaque version was a better rendition of H�hnlein�s signature than the daggers. It would seem that in addition to the award plaque, that information has been corroborated in period documentation.

I just came across a very limited edition 1938 book �10. DREITAGE MITTELGEBIRGSFAHRT 1938� that was not intended for the general public. Dedicated to a Luftwaffe Major General who was in charge of motor transport for the Luftwaffe. The H�hnlein signature in the book more closely matches the award plaque with the down turned end of the signature. With two very high ranking officials who had to knew each other personally. Being in essentially the same business with the NSKK training military personnel. I would submit the argument that the book went from H�hnlein�s hand to that of the General. And that he signed it personally instead of some assistant. Which (IMO) has not inconsequential implications as to what the signature should look like.

I can�t repost the images here because they are quite prominently copywrited by the owner. But can post a link to the web site. And would recommend to anyone who is truly interested in the NSKK that purchasing the book might be considered a worthwhile addition to their collection. FP

NSKK Book (1938)