Jason, There are actually a couple of issues here. From a structural standpoint the solid part would not bend because of its cross section, and the socket itself is a lot an �I� beam. And (properly oriented) �I� beams are designed to minimize deflection from a load.

Nickel is really copper (2/3). And copper and other things were added to silver to harden it. So from a metallurgical standpoint I�d have to try and find some data for the alloy that they probably used. But from what I already know, while it would likely be softer than say (for example) zinc. While zinc would break. With silver you would probably see stress lines where the bending movement took place. And there does not seem to be any of that kind of activity visible in the images. Also, how would the bending take place?? If it was struck by something like a tool or something hard you would likely see a place where it impacted. And if you put it in a vise - it would flatten out the curve and probably make it fit the scabbard better (and could also make it break if the part was over stressed).

And how does the curvature affect the fact that the grip and guards have that diagonal separation in both socket areas?

But, as I think more about it: If you bend the �I� beam area slightly and it does not break. It�s going to change the relationship of the wood grip bottom to the top of the crossguard �I� beam section. And it�s going to have either more curve or less curve. And fit either better or worse. But if the crossguard was bent to make it fit the grip better - it would cause a gap between it and the mouthpiece. Or vice versa? Hmmmmmm..............

It sure would be nice to look inside the crossguard and see if there is any evidence of bending. But from what I�m seeing in the images those components were never put together like that by Eickhorn. Regards, FP