It is indeed a noble effort, Fred. However, Brian is correct - in these cases, the dagger is the goal, and not history. There is usually too much money riding on the deal to get caught up with making a big promotion about the piece. We don't have the luxury of being academic. Surely, we try to get what we can, there is no harm in that. Often times however, such activities result in not getting a piece, even for a "fair" price. Any other experienced buyer will echo my sentiment. And in this particular case, where the authenticity of these daggers, as a class, is all but indisputable, I say why take the risk? And generally, the bigger dealers often rely on a network of intermediaries. At least 80% of my "out of the woodwork" purchases have been through an intermediary. Of the 4 SS Honor Daggers I have been the "first" to own, only one was purchased by me directly from the family. So in summary, the presence of an "intermediary" is really not a smoking gun. Rather, it's typical, and par for the course in the real world.

I would seriously like to enter into an honest debate with anyone who believes the NSKK High Leader is the product of a conspiracy to commit fraud. It will come as no surprise to anyone here that I find the argument for the falsehood of the NSKK High Leader lacking in several respects, but that's okay. I say let the chips fall where they may. There are enough of these pieces out there, and therefore too much is at stake to let the shadow you have cast over these pieces remain unanswered. Again, I encourage none of the name-calling and slander from earlier threads. This conversation can be above board, and among gentlemen. Still, the choice is yours and nobody will ridicule or second guess you, or call you afraid, if you choose not to argue your case.

Craig Gottlieb
Founder, German Daggers Dot Com
www.cgmauctions.com