Wolfgang, Most respectfully, I think that I understand what you are saying, and would agree that unlike a custom knife maker - in a high volume production environment that most likely a large scale maker would use as many shortcuts as possible to get the job done. Where I might have a different point of view regarding satin/brush finishes in general is regarding their necessarily being more difficult to achieve than a high polish - in a large scale production environment.

Looking not to custom made knives. But to firearms IMO gives perhaps a better picture of what was required in achieving a good polish of either type for large scale operations. Meaning that a well done high polish firearm finish took more time and effort than a comparable well done satin finish - and once a part was final polished (either way) that was it. And that in the context of the time of the Third Reich there was in fact a migration away from high polish finishes - depending on the item, the maker, and the time period. And that a further analysis of period German sidearm and firearm finishing standards shows what happened and approximately when the changes took place.

PS: Very nice work on the knives, although to be honest it�s hard to see in the images a satin/brushed effect - possibly because of the lighting(?). FP