It's impossible to give any kind of value without seeing the engraving style on the rear of the medal.

There is a Wallace E. Dillingham listed as KIA on the WWII registry. He was from Maine and his Army Serial Number indicates he was a National Guardsman. His name doesn't appear on the American Battlefield Monuments Commission list, so he was brought home and buried in the US after the war.

There so many variables to determine value. If he was assigned to a famous unit, such as Airborne, Ranger or other so-called elite unit, it would bring a premium. If he was killed in a famous battle, that could also raise the value a bit.

But, the determining factor is the engraving style. If it has the accepted WWII government engraving style, and he was in a infantry unit, I'd guess the value to be anywhere in the area of $200-$250.

If it is a replacement medal with a later government engraving style than WWII, the value would be much less, probably less than $100. If it is privately engraved or even a reproduction, it would be less still.

Tom Lane has an excellent site dealing with engraving styles: www.purpleheartsnet

Hope this has been of some help,
Dwight

If I can help further, email me at [email protected]