Hello,

yes the two E.O G�tze Frogs are nice examples of the changeover in the year 1940.

The two frogs are Luftwaffe examples.
The first one, originaly painted brown (often after 1940 they were repainted black) and the other one with the gloss black finish.

in the years 1940-1944 a lot of versions of the black laque was used. from semi gloss the high gloss.

in 1940 E.O.G�tze produce another Luftwaffe frogtype with big waschers in the front. These ones are out of natural leather...without laque. Maby for southern front.

It is correct what you written days ago about the struktre of the finisch. their are differnts... bust mostly in the end of the war.

sometimes they use finsh with now acid componets...so the leather will changes colour or resolved.

From my Grandfather i know that, in case of an "Ehrenformation", the leather gear was polisched up. But in the baraks it was normal to do it every day. So the leather was very gloss. A special unit in an normal camp...no.

here are two examples one of my glossest ones...and one oft my semi glossest ones.
(but a lot of version exists). the right one is a scare Luftwaffe version only produced in 1940 with a hollow rivet insted the short line of stichting.

P1040350.JPG (108.64 KB, 171 downloads)