We�re discussing different topics in the same thread, but personally I don�t mind as a lot of interesting info on German frogs is brought together in one place.

Back to my, what has turned out to be, Luftwaffe (airforce) frog. I know that the German Fallschirmj�ger (paratroopers) were part of the Luftwaffe. And that these, I believe after the German invasion of Crete, were generally used to fight as normal ground troops.

I was wondering which Luftwaffe personnel would have been issued with the 98k rifle, bayonet and bayonet frog. I don�t think the aircrew were carrying rifles, so there remains ground crews, guard personnel and Fallschirmj�ger. Correct? Would the Fallschirmj�ger have carried the brown Luftwaffe frogs, or were they issued the post 1940 black ones only?

I did some searching and found the internet site of a small local museum in Holland that shows several Fallschirmj�ger items taken from prisoners from the 6th Fallschirmj�ger Regiment in April 1945. If you scroll about halfway down on the page there is a 98k bayonet with a black frog, made in 1940 by the Landes Lieferungs Genossenschaft Niedersachsen in Hannover.

Achterhoeks Museum

My conclusion is that the Fallschirmj�ger did at least carry the black Luftwaffe frog. I am not sure if my specimen was used by Fallschrimj�ger, but it would be a possibility.

Any thoughts or comments on the use of these Luftwaffe frogs?