Denny, I know that you are making light of the situation, but I like my �junk� SmileSmile Wink.

While I really don�t have any idea what it was that prompted the �fake� comment. For comparison purposes here are some tropical frogs from an old photo shoot I did a while back to try and show some of the color variations. As a group the frogs pictured are circa 1942 and earlier. Included are frogs from multiple identifiable makers including those that are named, or have the Fertigungskennzeichen (maker codes). With the bulk of the frogs most regrettably having indecipherable or no discernible markings (the same kind of thing as seen with especially the more heavily used leather frogs). Not pictured as a group are later examples such as those with the R.B. Numbers.

A few general comments/observations: The example at the far upper left hand corner never had a tie strap and is probably quite early. Also seen is the steel frog stud version of the Luftwaffe blue (alongside the aluminum one) which may (or may not) be a little later. While some dye lots are fairly close in coloration obviously others were not. And a number of different styles of fabric weaving and dimensions are also evident. There is also quite a bit of variation with the frog stud holes - even with examples from the same maker. Also noticeable is the fact that while many frog studs are more or less centered, others are noticeably offset to one side. And pouch size dimensions tend to be all over the place with some seeming to be large enough for the model 98/05 bayonets. I would imagine that the time period, who the maker was, and the skill of the workers had something to do with all of the variations that are seen. FP

Sm_Grp_Trop.jpg (52.33 KB, 419 downloads)